Saturday, May 17, 2014

Spring has sprung!

 

 

I was up at 6:30 on a Saturday morning so you better believe this was for a good cause.

So there was a call out for Kingston Samaritans this week to bake for the charity stall held on Saturday at the surbiton farmers market. Rusty and I had never been to the farmers market before but the weather is nice this weekend and that makes you want to get up and out early to make more of the sun and the farmers market seemed to be as good an excuse as any. I went a little crazy with the cakes.

This one was a double layer lemon cake with another sugar peony I made this week to keep my practise up. It's a little wonky but I guess so are flowers sometimes so that's probably ok. The lemon was a nice flavour change, flavoured with lemon juice and zest, it had a lovely fresh lemon taste rather than using a lemon extract.

The cupcakes were straight out vanilla and chocolate. The little flowers on them were all rolled from fondant as well. Where have you been all my life fondant! I don't like eating you but you do make things look pretty. I made them in little gingham cases some with piped grass, some just with green rosettes and flowers on.

We headed down to the market bright and early to set up, it's a lovely little market just on Maple road. Stuff started selling gradually through the first hour before Rusty and I had to head off and I'm waiting to see if they sell everything that we had though even when people weren't buying cakes they were still donating which is lovely. For those of you who don't know, the Samaritans provide 24 hour 7 days a week listening support to those at risk of suicide or in emotional distress, people can call, email, text or visit and talk to someone face to face. Their website is www.samaritans.org if you want to check it out.

 

 

No comments: